Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

"The Grieving Mermaid" is up!

Yay! I have my first story published at Smashwords, and arriving soon at Amazon and at Barnes and Noble!

Here's what the cover looks like:


(purdy cover by Pat Hemmert

 What it's about: mermaids! because "The Little Mermaid" was one of my favorite stories growing up.

Okay, seriously, it's about the hole left in the lives of the people who survive a loved one's death, and how they cope with it. Wow, that sounds like it could be anything, so specifically it's about the hole left in the lives of the survivors of the "Little Mermaid" fairy tale. Not the Disney version. It took me years before I was willing to see the Disney version because I knew she'd survive in the end. Disney's not exactly famous for maudlin endings. Good music, though. Anyway, the two people most impacted by the Little Mermaid's death get to meet, and grief has influenced them in two different ways.

"The Grieving Mermaid" is the first in a series of short stories that explores what happens after the "happily ever after" of fairy tales. Some of the stories examine the fates of the protagonists; others deal with peripheral characters.

 I had a great time writing "The Grieving Mermaid"! And I hope everyone who reads it finds it enjoyable!

My next short story is forthcoming, and should be out in a few weeks, barring the unforseen. "Ashes" deals with the aftermath of the Cinderella fairy tale, specifically with the fates of Cinderella's wicked stepfamily. It really isn't a nice story, but I really like it as a story. I wonder what that says about me as a writer?

ETA: I uploaded it to Amazon.com and they sent me a notification that I forgot to put the author name on it. Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment