Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

A Bit About Me

I'm a writer living in north Texas. My hobbies include the Three Rs from grade school, except that aRithmetic has been booted, leaving only Reading and wRiting behind. There is currently a Rutabaga holding the position of the third R, but we all know it's just a place-holder until something more suitable comes along.

I enjoy knitting and tinkering around with things, neither of which are R enough to make it into the Three Rs. And before anyone thinks that tinkering = mechanically inclined, allow me to clarify: that means I burn my fingers with a hot glue gun on occasion, or that I figure things out with my knitting, or I poke something and ask, "Oh, what does this do?" before being hurriedly led away by concerned friends.

I'm married to a wonderful man who should be elevated to sainthood for his patience with me, except hopefully without the martyring because martyrdom doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. We currently live in a multi-family domestic co-op, which sounds a great deal like a sitcom waiting to happen. Thankfully, it isn't because we all know it would be more fun to be in a space opera. Or anything starring Nathan Fillion.

My favorite writers include the trifecta of Gaiman, de Lint, and Tolkein (admission: I've only read The Hobbit and LotR. I will probably never read The Silmarillion, nor any of the Lost Tales, nor Children of Hurin). Other favorites include Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn (and let's not forget "Two Hearts"!); the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix, the David Sullivan books by Tom Deitz, and Robin McKinley's Damar books. I enjoy short stories a great deal; there is something very satisfying about the short form, and my idea of a fun weekend involves coffee and an anthology.

Once upon a time I was a theatre major. Now I'm just someone with aspirations to be a professional student, but somehow I don't think that comes with dental and 401K. (And before you say that actors/theatre people don't have benefits, Actor's Equity offers benefits.)

'Nuff said; back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment